A former schoolteacher's life was nearly destroyed by a rare disease that caused his body to produce alcohol. Mark Mongiardo, 40, of Florida, has auto-brewery syndrome, which causes microbes in his gut to turn sugar into alcohol. It makes him look drunk even if he hasn't had any alcohol. The diagnosis arrived only after he had lost his entire career, his home, and had to live with his wife's family. She had started to suspect him of sneaking beers when no one was looking. Mr Mongiardo, on the other hand, had already been dragged over the coals by managers who accused him of smelling of alcohol at school. In 2019, he was stopped over twice in six months for 'drink driving,' despite not having touched alcohol. Mr. Mongiardo says he has to take 30 tablets a day and exist on a low-carb diet that excludes pasta and pizza, which is difficult for an Italian American. He claims he always takes a breathing test before getting behind the wheel.

'For years, [my wife] believed I was hiding drinking and I would come home every day basically drunk,' he told TODAY. 'I had intoxication symptoms ranging from slurred speech to balance problems. This occurred even at social gatherings where I had not been imbibing.' Mr Mongiardo started teaching sports at a school in New Jersey in 2005, but was quickly hauled before the principal after parents complained that he "smelled of alcohol." Throughout his teaching career, especially between 2012 and 2016, he was repeatedly summoned by principles over these allegations — despite the fact that he would never touch alcohol around children. In 2018, he changed jobs and became the sports director. He was pulled over by police and breathalyzed three weeks into the position. He was charged with drunk driving after exceeding the permissible limit.
Mr. Mongiardo maintained he had not been drinking, and his supervisor at the time stated that they were "willing to move past it" because they were so pleased with his work.
Six months later, when he was pulled over and breathalyzed by police again, they had to let him go.
'That's when I lost everything. I lost everything that somebody could lose,' he told ABC7.
'I had to sell both my home and my car. I couldn't find work in teaching, and I couldn't find work at the grocery store. I was facing felony accusations. I was facing jail time for two DWIs when I hadn't even been drinking.'Because of the pending felony charges, he couldn't even get a position stacking shelves at Aldi.
At this point, his mother suggested he see a doctor, pointing out that internet searches indicated he might have a condition in which his body'made' alcohol.
An imbalance in gut microbiota causes auto-brewery syndrome, which can be initiated by a bad diet or antibiotics, among other things.
It causes yeast and other microorganisms in the intestines to dominate, converting sugar into alcohol rather than just energy.
This alcohol can then be absorbed into the circulation, rendering a person 'drunk' even if they haven't consumed any alcohol.
There are no reliable figures of how many Americans have the condition, but more than 60 cases have been documented in medical literature.
Mr. Mongiardo proceeded to see Dr. Prasanna Wickremesinghe, a gastroenterologist on Staten Island who specializes in the condition.
They performed a test in which they measured the patient's blood alcohol levels before and after he drank a sweetened drink.
Despite not having consumed any alcohol, his blood alcohol content (BAC) had increased to 0.14 units of alcohol per 100ml of blood.
A level greater than 0.5 is considered legal proof of impairment.
Mr Mongiardo described the event thus: 'Within the first hour, I was at 0.14.
'When I saw that, [the doctor] just shook his head. "You definitely have auto-brewery syndrome," he said. Your BAC level has skyrocketed."
'We were in tears. Honestly, it was all very intense.'
After receiving the diagnosis in May 2019, the father chose to leave teaching and work in real estate in New York before returning to Florida following the pandemic.
He now works for Target in the same state where his wife and children have relocated.
He takes pills and follows a low-carb diet that excludes pizza and pasta to manage his body's condition.
Before transporting the kids anywhere, he always takes a breathalyzer test.
The felony charges were also dropped after the police agency delayed bringing them to trial for too long.
'I was born into an Italian-American household. I haven't eaten pasta, pizza, or anything similar since being afflicted in May 2019. 'It was extremely difficult in the outset.'
WHAT EXACTLY IS AUTO-BREWERY SYNDROME?
Sufferers of auto-brewery syndrome (ABS) feel intoxicated and unable to accomplish simple tasks.
It generally happens as a result of yeast accumulating in the intestines after the sufferer consumes sugar.
The syndrome happens when a patient's yeast in their intestines grows out of control, possibly after taking antibiotics.
Abnormal chemicals in the liver may also contribute to ABS.
Anyone of any age can be affected.
ABS is so uncommon that its prevalence is unclear.
There is no treatment.
Avoiding sugar and carbohydrates, as well as regularly monitoring a sufferer's blood alcohol level, may help to control symptoms.
Dr. Gundry is the source.
By Covenant
Comments
Post a Comment