After a one in a million diagnosis, a woman with no ovaries gives birth to a'miracle' baby.
A lady who had her ovaries removed to receive life-saving cancer therapy has given birth to a "miracle" child. Stacey Broadmeadow, 38, was horrified when she learned she had a one-in-a-million uncommon cancer in 2017. But the news that she would need her ovaries removed - and hence might not be able to become a mother in the future - was even more devastating. 'I was crushed, completely sad,' she said of her diagnosis. "Well, that's it," I literally thought. I'll never be a mother. 'I'll never get the dream that I've always wanted.' Stacey, from Stockport, initially noticed something was wrong when she began spotting and feeling stomach pain between periods.
She was sent for extra testing after her doctor ruled out pregnancy, which discovered fluid in her womb. Stacey was diagnosed with pseudomyxoma peritonei (PMP), a rare malignancy, and doctors informed her that she might lose her ovaries.
'But happily, my consultant was really positive and offered me optimism that she will be able to correct it and the prognosis may be favorable,' she continued.
Stacey had her spleen, gallbladder, layers of tissue, fallopian tubes, and both ovaries removed during her initial surgery at Christie NHS Foundation Trust in Manchester. Following this, hot chemotherapy (HIPEC) would be administered straight into the abdomen to kill any remaining tumor cells. During these operations, however, Stacey was able to harvest 17 eggs and undergo two rounds of egg freezing.
After she recovered from her surgery in 2021, she began the process of having a child. 'You'd think 17 eggs would be a lot, but it wasn't,' she explained. After they defrosted them, I had about eight usable eggs. 'We succeeded to get four embryos but only two then made it to the next level. So I only had two embryos at the time. 'One was transferred, but I miscarried with that one. 'And then there was Harry, the second embryo - they told me it wasn't the most viable embryo, but they put him in the freezer anyhow. 'So, after I miscarriage, I kind of believed the dream was over and I'd never have a baby, but I thought "well, I've got one last chance, I'll give it a try." The final embryo was successfully implanted in February of last year, and Stacey gave birth to her 'miracle' baby, a boy called Harry, in November of last year. 'Harry has always been desired,' she explained. 'I've always desired a baby since I was a child. He is really fantastic. 'He is a true miracle. Every time I look at him, I realize how fortunate I am. 'For me to be diagnosed with what I had, to go through what I went through, and then for him to be that little embryo that I was told wasn't the best... I refer to him as my little Nemo. 'Nemo was the last small egg left in the film Finding Nemo. So he's my miniature Nemo. He's my tiny miracle. He's truly unique.'
By Covenant



Comments
Post a Comment